9/24 “Teach us to PRAY” - New sermon series and 40-day prayer journey for the church!
9/27 See You at The Pole - be a light at your school at 7:00am; find out more, www.syatp.com
10/1 Meet The Mount - with “Membership Matters” 10/8, 10/15 & 10/22; themount.church/path
10/6 "Songs for the Mission" Night of Worship - CD Release Party - 7pm, Worship Center Keller
10/13-14 “Delight” Women’s Retreat - themount.church/women
“How many people do you think you have talked to today? Just make a rough guess.” :)
New sermon series “Teach us to PRAY” - We talk to people everyday, but do we talk to God everyday? This week we take an introductory look into prayer. We will look at the basics of prayer: Prayer Defined, Prayer Demonstrated, Prayer Demanded, Prayer Directed.
Key Passages: Matt 6:5-13, Phil 4:4-7, Psalms 5:3, 1 John 5:14, 1 Thess 5:17
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- How would you “describe/define” prayer to someone who doesn’t know? What is prayer?
- Why are we to pray? What are some of the benefits that come from praying?
- How can we pray? Read Matthew 6:9-13. What are some “tools/tips? you have learned over the years that help you pray?
- What are we promised as we pray? Read Psalms 5:3, 1 John 5:14.
- None of us are perfect in prayer… how would you rate your prayer life currently on a scale of 1-10? (1 being “what is prayer” to 10 being “Jesus and I pray together”; recommend going around circle to let everyone answer and/or share. Encourage them… no one is perfect here but let’s grow together.)
- What keeps you from praying? What are some barriers to praying more faithfully?
- Ask for a couple people to “share some instances when your prayers been answered”?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray for a greater passion and commitment to prayer individually and for The Mount to grow into a true house of prayer. - Mk 11:17 “My house shall be called a house of prayer”
RESOURCES and FURTHER STUDY
The Lord's Prayer
5 "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
7"And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this:
"Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
3 O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.
1 John 5:14
14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Mark 11:17 (Jesus references Isaiah 56:6-7)
17And he was teaching them and saying to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers."
6 "And the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord, to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant—
7 these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer;
their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar;
for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples."