“What is something you are "in charge of" or "responsible for".” (Anything... employees, kids, providing for family, etc)
12/21 & 12/28 No Wed Night ministries - no groups, no kids & no student activities
12/24 & 12/25 Christmas - Identical services, Christmas Eve 3:00 & 4:30pm, Christmas Day 10:30am
1/1 Family Worship Services - childcare 2 and under available for 9 & 10:30 services
1/11 EQUIP Training Night - all are invited to this special training night 6:30pm
“Advent” - the arrival of a notable person or event. This week we look at Jesus as our "Reigning King". When you think of Jesus laying in the manger, we often do not think of a King. We do not think of a ruler. We do not think of a sovereign. But this is exactly who was there. Jesus our Reigning King.
Key Passages: Philippians 2:9-11, Matthew 28:18, Luke 1:30-33
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- What are some of the descriptions that come to mind when you think of the word REIGN?
- When you think of Jesus, what comes to mind? Do you picture Him today as a meek lamb, a baby lying in a manger or as a mighty King who has conquered His enemies?
- Read Lk 1:30-33. When you grasp the picture of Jesus as a reigning King, how can that shape your confidence in this world?
- Read Matt 28:18. How can focusing on Jesus’s authority help you overcome trials and temptations in your life?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray that we will fully surrender to the reign and rule of Jesus Christ, our Lord & King... in our lives, in our families, at our work places... in everything.
Reign: hold royal office; rule as king or queen, be the best or most important in a particular area or domain, hold a particular title
Reign synonyms: power, might, rule, control completely
Verses to consider about his REIGNING POWER:
9Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Seated at the right hand verses:
Acts 7:55-56, Romans 8:23-34
Ephesians 1:20, Colossians 3:1
Hebrews 1:3, Hebrews 8:1
Hebrews 10:12, Hebrews 12:2
1 Peter 3:22, Revelation 3:21
Matthew 22:44, Acts 2:33
18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
30 And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”