“What is your favorite Christmas song?”
12/4 Meet The Mount - after 2nd service, for guests interested in learning more about The Mount
12/4 Family Meeting - semi-annual business meeting 4:00pm
12/9 “Simply Still” - Ladies Christmas Event - 7:00pm; Ladies, save the date.
12/14 Jingle Jam - Wednesday night Kids Christmas event 6:30-7:45
12/21 & 12/28 No Wed Night ministries - no groups, no kids & no student activities
12/24 & 12/25 Christmas - Identical services, Christmas Eve 3:00 & 4:30pm, Christmas Day 10:30am
“Advent” - the arrival of a notable person or event. Last week we talked about the “Promised King” and this week we focus on the “Coming King”. Jesus, the coming King, the King of Kings, the Savior of the world… came to us as a baby, in a small town, in a barn, without fanfare… in humility.
Key Passages: Matthew 2:1-12, Luke 2:1-20
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- Read Matthew 2:1-12. Who are some of the different people mentioned in these verses? How did each react differently to Jesus? (wise men, Herod, all Jerusalem, chief priests & scribes)
- How are people today like those above? … with curiosity, concerns and reactions about God’s word & Jesus?
- Worship can happen once or when God gets our attention, what are different ways God “gets your attention”?
- What can we learn from these “wise men” about true worship? (It was there “response” to encountering Jesus; they gave; they sacrificed their time, etc)
- "A stir begins is soon as Christ is born. He has not spoken a word; he has not wrought a miracle; he has not proclaimed a single doctrine; but 'when Jesus was born,' at the very first, while as yet you hear nothing but infant cries, and can see nothing but infant weakness, still his influence upon the world is manifest. 'When Jesus was born, there came wise men from the east,' and so on. There is infinite power even in an infant Savior." (Spurgeon)
- Read Spurgeon quote. Jesus came and is coming back…how does this influence you?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray for increased faith and boldness among the The Mount people; that we would be a bright light in this dark world and proclaim the wonderful truth that the promised King has arrived!