“We have all had failures and victories in this life, share one recent failure and/or one victory?”
6/5 VBS Volunteer Training 4pm (Volunteer sign-up & kid registration at themount.church/vbs)
6/12 Family Meeting (aka - semi-annual “business meeting”) 4:00pm
6/12-6/17 Student’s Community Rehab Project
6/20-6/23 Kid’s "Student Life for Kids" Summer Camp
6/26-6/30 Kid’s VBS 6:00pm (Sun 6/26 - “Family Night”)
7/16-7/21 Student’s "Student Life” Summer Camp
It is hard to imagine Peter’s monumental failure of denying Jesus (Jn 18)… and how this must have crushed Peter’s spirit later, especially seeing the resurrected Jesus face to face (Jn 20). This week we wrap up the Gospel of John as we look at Ch. 21. We see Jesus’ intentional relationship with and appearances to his disciples, his restoration of Peter and encouragement to keep our focus on Christ and not on others.
Key Passages: John 21:1-25
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed). Re-read chapter or key passages (v19-22; v30-31).
- Major events just occurred (death, burial, resurrection, appearance of Jesus twice to disciples, sending of disciples)… so what do 7 disciples decide to do? (go fishing) Why do you think they went fishing? (returned to what they knew; needed food; ??)
- Why do you think the disciples did not recognize Jesus v4? What are some things that keep you from “seeing” Jesus in day-to-day life?
- Why does Peter jump out of the boat when he learns it is Jesus? (likely to hurry to get to shore, as v8 notes others “came in boat”) What does this reveal about Peter’s feelings for Jesus? (side note: who is first to obey Jesus’ command to get some fish from the boat for breakfast?)
- Read v15. What is Peter’s response? How does it differ from Peter’s earlier statements (Matt. 26:33-35, also John 13:37)? (v15 is missing the bravado)
- Despite Peter’s denials and failures, Jesus chooses to restore him (and not replace him). What can we learn from this? …about restoring someone who sins?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray for a renewed intentionality & purpose in our relationships focused on seeing Jesus and glorifying God; that we love one another well so others see Christ in us.