“You have to choose one… which do you lean more towards, truth or grace?”
8/14 Imago Dei Q&A Forum - 4:30pm
8/20 CG Leader Training 9-11am
8/31 Student ‘Color War’ Night - a large outreach event for students on campus
9/4 Meet The Mount - 1st Sunday of the month after church for guests to learn about The Mount (lunch & childcare provided)
9/18 “All In” Sunday & Church-wide Picnic - Save The Date - more info to come
“Imago Dei” - literally the “image of God” (part 2 of 2). Last week we explored the biblical foundation for “imago dei” and simply what it means to be made in God’s image. This week we discuss the practical implications of this.
Key Passages: Gen 1:26-27; Rom 8:29; Col 4:5-6, 1 Cor 5:9-13; 2 Tim 2:24-25; Matt 9:10-13
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- Why is it important to balance TRUTH and LOVE in our lives? How do we do this? (ref verses Col 4:6, 2 Tim 2:24-25, Eph 4:15)
- Read Gen 1:26-27. How does verse shape how you feel about the “lost” non-believer?… about people in the world you would call your enemy?
- Is a non-believer expected to live like Jesus? Is a believer? (Rom 8:29)
- Read 1 Cor 5:9-13. Is there a difference between talking with a believer versus a non-believer who is living in sin? (e.g., “the sexually immoral…, the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters”)
- This can be hard but it is biblical; what examples of this have you seen or experienced? Read also Gal 6:1.
- How does living in biblical community, i.e., belonging in a Community Group, help this?
- How do you know if one “bears the name of brother”? (do they proclaim to have a relationship with Jesus)
- Read Matt. 9:10-13. 1 Cor 5:13 says “God judges those outside [the church]”; what do we learn about Jesus in Matt. 9:10-13? How does/should this shape our lives?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray for believers to be a light in this dark world, to speak with love and gentleness. Pray we balance truth with love and for God to bring send out laborers into his harvest. Matt 9:35-38
(funny skit on truth and grace) http://skitguys.com/blog/post/how-to-balance-truth-and-grace