1/31 Ladies’ Tues AM Precept - begins 9:30 AM; themount.church/biblestudy
2/1 Financial Peace University - begins 6:30 PM Wednesdays; themount.church/fpu
2/2 Ladies’ Thur PM Precept - begins 6:30 PM; themount.church/biblestudy
2/2 STEPS study - begins 6:30 PM; themount.church/steps
2/11 Mens’ Breakfast - 8:00 AM in Fellowship Hall building
2/13 The Mount church turns 6!
“Name one club or organization you are, or have been, a member of. (not counting a church)”
“ON MISSION” - As disciples of Jesus, our primary response is to worship and glorify God (as Jesus lived to do… and as we discussed last week). What does it really mean to be a “disciple”? How does or should this change how I view and live my day? We will look at that today in group. Community Groups, as does The Mount, exist to glorify God as disciples making disciples through the gospel of Jesus Christ. CG’s must be a place for the gospel to be displayed and lived out.
Key Passages: John 15:5-8; Matthew 5:16; Matt 4:19, 9:9, Luke 9:57-62, Lk 14:25-27
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- What does it mean to BE a disciple? What is a “disciple”? (give time for others to answer… learner, follower, student, “little Christ”; a worshiper, a servant, a witness; etc)
- Read John 15:5-8. How do we prove to be a disciple of Christ? (by bearing fruit)
- How do we “bear fruit” (v5)? (by abiding in Jesus; being close to Jesus; Word, prayer, life)
- What did Jesus often say to those who would become his disciples? (Mt4:19, 9:9, “follow me”)
- What does it mean to “follow Jesus”? (i.e., worshiper, servant, witness)
- Read Luke 9:57-62 & 14:25-27. What is the cost following Jesus and what does this say about a true follower? (God comes first; He wants our everything; popular John Piper quote, “He is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him”)
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray that the Lord would show you [us], each Community Group, how we can glorify God together, how we can genuinely be disciples together, how we can make disciples together.
“The standard definition of “disciple” (noun) is someone who adheres to the teachings of another. It is a follower or a learner. It refers to someone who takes up the ways of someone else. Applied to Jesus, a disciple is someone who learns from him to live like him — someone who, because of God’s awakening grace, conforms his or her words and ways to the words and ways of Jesus. Or, you might say, as others have put it in the past, disciples of Jesus are themselves “little Christs” (Acts 26:28; 2 Corinthians 1:21).
The four Gospels give us the definitive portrait of Jesus in his life on earth, and if we really want to know what it means to be his disciple, the Gospels are likely where we start. In particular, John’s Gospel shows us three complementary perspectives on what it means to follow Jesus, each patterned after Jesus himself. Building off of John’s profile, we could say that a disciple of Jesus is a worshiper, a servant, and a witness.”
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.