7/30 Alliance Campus Night - Core Families & Leaders meet at Gather at 5pm.
8/6 Promotion Sunday - for 5th grade and under
8/9 Back to School Bash - Wed 6:00pm; outdoor party for families
8/16 Wednesday Nights - CG’s, *Kids (Birth-6th) and Student ministries start back up!
*We have a NEW & EXCITING Wed. PM ministry program for K-6th grade! Wednesdays 6:30-7:45
8/27 CG Leader Training - Save the Date!; Sunday after 2nd service 12-2pm; lunch provided
8/30 Student “Color War” - Students invite friends to this annual Fall kickoff event for students!
“Share a time when you had to deliver either a tough message, or exciting news, to someone.”
his week we start a 3-week sermon series called “Prophet, Priest, King”. Jesus Christ is the only one who fulfills each of these roles completely; as Christians with Holy Spirit in us, we possess elements of each role in us as well. Our unique talents and spiritual gifts typically show themselves in us as strengths as either a prophet, priest or king-like outworking. However the more we grow in Christ-likeness, the more we grow in each of these. This week we look at Christ as Prophet, role of prophet in church leadership, and the prophetic outworking of every believer.
Key Passages: 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Ps 1:1-3; Rom 10:14-15,17
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- What is a prophet? (a person who speaks God’s truth to others; an advocate; messenger; teaches God’s Word and shares revelation)
- Have someone read 2 Timothy 3:16-17. What specific observations can we make about the Bible from this passage? How does or should this affect our view of the Bible?
- Jesus is a prophet because He embodied and preached the Word of God; what does John 1:1–18; 14:24; and Luke 24:19 say about this?
- In what ways can we “embody & preach the Word of God”? …be a spokesperson for God?
- How does a parent play the role of a “prophet” in the home? (relay the Word of God to kids; keep family on God’s path)
- What is the importance of viewing Jesus from the 3 perspectives as prophet, priest and king? What are the downfalls of an unbalanced view of Christ?
(high prophet but low view as priest & king = less grace, harsh/cold, self-righteous with knowledge; high priest, low as prophet & king = too tolerant of sin, lack of truth, self-righteous with compassion or love; high king, low prophet & priest = rigid, rules heavy, self-righteous with policy)
- How may a church benefit from aligning staff and focusing ministry leadership in the areas of prophet, priest and king? (working in strengths, Christ-centered balance, avoid lopsided ministry)
- Why is having purpose/goal/vision in ministry important? …what about the importance of them agreeing with scripture?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray that we would learn a deeper appreciation for and gain clearer perspective of the roles of Jesus Christ as prophet, priest and king; Pray for God to grow our view of Jesus and His work in our lives.
RESOURCES and FURTHER STUDY
2 Timothy, Chapter 3
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
OTHER - Some helpful short articles