7/9 or 7/12 VBS Trainings - 6:30pm; attend one if volunteering at VBS this year
7/15 Orphan Care Cookout -10a-1p Johnson Rd Park; Sign up at themount.church/orphancare
7/16 Alliance Campus Vision Night Q&A 2 - 5 pm; ice cream fellowship to follow
7/23-7/27 VBS - register yourself (volunteer) and your kids TODAY at themount.church/vbs (or on App)
8/9 Back to School Bash - Wed 6:30pm; outdoor party for families
8/27 CG Leader Training - Save the Date; Sunday after 2nd service 12-2pm; lunch provided
“What is one thing that has been on your mind a lot lately?”
his week we look at just 2 verses in chapter 4 of Philippians. Verses 8-9, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” - - Correct thinking shapes your beliefs, correct beliefs shape your conduct. “Rejoice!” - Philippians series.
Key Passages: Phil 4:8-9, Col 3:1-17, 1 Cor 11:1
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- Have someone read Phil 4:8-9 and ask someone to summarize these verses in their own words. (“think on praise-worthy things, act in praise-worthy ways”)
- In what practical ways might you proactively “think about” things that are true, honorable, just, pure, etc?
- Read Col 3:1-4. How do these words of Paul compare to his in Phil 4:8? (spiritual outlook)
- Col 3:5-17 refer more to our manner of living; read v 12-17, how are these verses similar to Phil 4:9? (our outlook leads to living in a way that pleases the Lord, leading to peace of Christ)
- Read 1 Cor 11:1. How can we follow Paul’s example here and in Phil 4:9? (we can aim to follow Paul to live like him as a Christ-like example for us… but equally important, we can live like Christ and invite others to follow the way we live as we follow Jesus)
- Who is “following you”? (kids, spouse, coworkers, friends, etc) People observe you, your actions affect the actions of others whether intentionally or otherwise… how can we be intentional with our actions (our manner of living)?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray for gospel-oriented mindset for us all, for our thinking to be on things above, on things that are praise-worthy. Pray for gospel-oriented motivation to live like Christ an opportunities to be an example for others to follow.
RESOURCES and FURTHER STUDY
Matthew Henry Commentary (Concise)
Philippians Chapter 4
The apostle exhorts the Philippians to stand fast in the Lord. (1) Gives directions to some, and to all in general. (2-9) Expresses contentment in every condition of life. (10-19) He concludes with prayer to God the Father, and his usual blessing. (20-23)
Verses 8-9 The peace of God, the comfortable sense of being reconciled to God, and having a part in his favor, and the hope of the heavenly blessedness, are a greater good than can be fully expressed. This peace will keep our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus; it will keep us from sinning under troubles, and from sinking under them; keep us calm and with inward satisfaction. Believers are to get and to keep a good name; a name for good things with God and good men. We should walk in all the ways of virtue, and abide therein; then, whether our praise is of men or not, it will be of God. The apostle is for an example. His doctrine and life agreed together. The way to have the God of peace with us, is to keep close to our duty. All our privileges and salvation arise in the free mercy of God; yet the enjoyment of them depends on our sincere and holy conduct. These are works of God, pertaining to God, and to him only are they to be ascribed, and to no other, neither men, words, nor deeds.