8/9 Back to School Bash - Wed 6:00pm; outdoor party for families
8/16 Wednesday Nights - CG’s, *Kids (Birth-6th) and Student ministries start back up!
*We have a NEW & EXCITING Wed. PM ministry program for K-6th grade! Wednesdays 6:30-7:45
8/27 CG Leader Training - Save the Date!; Sunday after 2nd service 12-2pm; lunch provided
8/30 Student “Color War” - Students invite friends to this annual Fall kickoff event for students!
“What is the longest bridge or deepest canyon you’ve been to?”
his week we take focused look at the ‘Priest’ role of Christ and the implications for us as a church and individual believers. It is week 2 of 3 of our “Prophet, Priest, King” series. Jesus Christ is the only one who fulfills each of these roles completely; as Christians with Holy Spirit in us, we possess elements of each role in us as well. Our unique talents and spiritual gifts typically show themselves in us as strengths as either a prophet, priest or king-like outworking. However the more we grow in Christ-likeness, the more we grow in each of these. This week we look at Christ as Priest, the role of the priest leadership in the church, and the priestly outworking of every believer.
Key Passages: Heb 4:14-5:3; 1 Peter 2:5,9; 2 Cor 5:18-20; Heb 10:19-25
- Ask if someone can give the primary sermon points to refresh the message (be prepared to do this yourself if needed).
- What/who is an old testament priest? (Onewho comes near and stands before God in a serving capacity; look up definitions)
- Read Heb 4:14-16. What characteristics do we see here about Christ as our high priest? ( able to sympathize; understands our weaknesses; knows temptation; gives mercy, shows grace, helps in time of need)
- How can we grow in these “priestly” traits, especially if not a strength of yours? (prayer, studying God’s Word about Christ’s compassion & mercy, invite more priestly people into your life)
- Read Heb 10:19-25. What has happened as described in v19-21… and what is the source of this “confidence” in v19?? (Jesus has performed his high priest duties & opened access to God the Father through his blood)
- What are some of the things we are to do now out of this “confidence”? (3 “let us”s; draw near to God, have persevering faith, encourage one another in faith and by presence together)
- What are some challenges to meeting together? What encouragement do you receive from meeting together in [your/our] Community Group?
- What are some ways we can be “bridge builders” in family, neighborhood, workplace, etc?
- Ask if there are any other personal observations or takeaways from the scripture or sermon.
Pray that we would learn a deeper appreciation for and gain clearer perspective of the roles of Jesus Christ as prophet, priest and king; Pray for God to grow our view of Jesus and His work in our lives.
RESOURCES and FURTHER STUDY
14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
OTHER - Some helpful short articles